Friday, January 11, 2008

Update: Best of 07 and Filipino Films on DVD

Nora Aunor in Ishmael Bernal's Himala (Miracle, 1982)

Arguably one of the most important links on my blog is this one, which lists down the Filipino films available on DVD (scroll to the bottom of post for the updates). As someone who often speaks to a vacuum--in the sense that I often discuss pictures that few people outside of the Philippines (or even inside the Philippines) have ever seen, really should do more to make what films are available out there more widely known. Lord knows this isn't complete, but I can at least keep it updated--which is what I'm doing now.

Also updated: my Best of 2007 list now includes Sweeney Todd and, I'm pleased to say, Altar, arguably Rico Maria Ilarde's best work to date. Hope to write more on Ilarde's digital feature (like all of his pictures it's an intriguing genre bender, this time crossing Hideo Nakata with The Legend of Hell House and, of all things, The Quiet Man) when I have the chance...

And by way of farewells, a reminder of one particularly painful loss this year:
Joey Gosiengfiao, 1941 - 2007)

6 comments:

Oggs Cruz said...

I agree, Altar is Ilarde's best work. As always, I can't wait to read your thoughts on it Noel.

Noel Vera said...

Sure thing, man.

Anonymous said...

should you even contribute to an international publication a best of filipino films list when you don't have a wide grasp of the cinema anymore? your thoughts.

Noel Vera said...

What makes you say I contributed a "best of Filipino films" list?

Anonymous said...

I think, that you are not right. I am assured. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM, we will talk.

Noel Vera said...

I think you are nuts. I am assured. I can defend my position. I am writing in the PM so you can reply to my post. May the best man win.